7/7/15

Reading Attitudes

I've  noticed in reading about reading that there is obviously a great deal of emphasis placed on comprehension and fluency.  How many of you do a reading survey at the beginning of the year to find out how your kids feel about reading?  I always do.  Do I look at it? Yes, to find out interests.  However, I am not looking closely about reading attitudes.  A class I'm taking right now emphasizes reading attitudes.  That got me to thinking about the beginning of this school year.


What if I spend some time at the beginning of the year helping my kids develop positive attitudes about reading.  Of course I talk about reading and my "Read to Self" area, books, reading norms for my stations, my expectations, etc... But what if I have kids examine and adjust their reading attitudes before the school year gets underway?

What if your students don't even realize they don't love reading?  Maybe if they are asked, they spill out words that have been fed to them up until that point.  Maybe we should help our kids get really honest with themselves about reading and go from there?

This article was directly from a google search, but it was also one recommended in my course.
{Measuring Attitudes Toward Reading: a New Tool for Teachers} (McKenna & Kear, 1990)
It has the reading attitudes test right in it and it seems to be a really good indicator of a student's feelings about reading.  It could be administered to the whole group.   The article also tells you how to score the survey. I think it will be very helpful! 

McKenna & Kear, 1990

For some, using a tablet will enhance reading enjoyment!

Allow your students plenty of reading for pleasure time!

We probably all have our favorite inventories and surveys we give.  I plan on taking a closer look at mine this year. I'm planning to use the McKenna & Kear assessment.  I want to encourage great attitudes about reading and develop ways to work on attitudes early in the year rather than let them get worse and hold kids back in their fluency and comprehension! Mostly, I want to notice if they happen to love reading for pleasure and really dislike reading at school, or vice-versa. There may not be any quick fixes, but reading attitudes do affect reading outcomes.  

McKenna, M. C., & Kear, D. J. (1990). Measuring Attitude Toward Reading: A New Tool for Teachers.     Reading Teacher. doi:10.1598/RT.43.8.3

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have all EALD/ESL learners so I will have to have an adult with most of my children, but I think it's a really beneficial survey to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hiedi! I agree. I plan to look more closely at mine this year for sure! I mainly want them to be honest and not be afraid to reveal how they feel about reading. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!