3/11/14

Target and Daily 5

Target has been my best teaching resource this year.  I have found the best stuff for my Daily 5 and Guided Math centers.  It started with book boxes. I was looking in the housewares dept. and found white ice bins.  They were blah white and were $3.99.  Then (choir singing in the background) I found the perfect  book bins in the Dollar Spot!  I was thrilled.  I had to collect them in small amounts, partly because they were $3 each (not bad at all, but didn't want to break the bank buying all at once), and partly because they would only have three or four of them at a time.  The ones I found are a bright medium turquoise blue and lime green.  They did have some really cute hot pink bins with a chevron stripe in turquoise and lime, but I am not a big pink fan for my room.  One weekend, I just got tired of looking over and over at my Target to complete my set.  I only needed seven more, so I started calling all of the Targets in our metro area.  I had to drive about ten miles, but I hit the jackpot and found the number I needed. (I think I have about 26 now just in case some break.)  
www.teacherfluffandreallygoodstuff.blogspot.com
  Another wonderful thing I found was coupon holders in bright lime green and turquoise.  They were $1. I use them to hold my flahscards. (For math, I divided up  my multiplication cards into specific facts, e.g.: x2, x3, etc...).  I put them into one of the larger holders.  I have my reading rotation flashcards in the coupon holders also, along with my vocabulary cards that go with our reading series, separated by story, into the different sections.  That way I can grab the set I need and place them into the center I want to use.  Speaking of cards, I found some wonderful flashcards at Dollar Tree.  They had synonyms, antonyms, and sight words (3 levels!!).  Those are now in the wonderful coupon holders I found.  My kids can take a holder, get the cards out, and play concentration or just match cards.  They love it.
www.teacherfluffandreallygoodstuff.blogspot.com
www.teacherfluffandreallygoodstuff.blogspot.com

The final items I found at Target were mini dry erase markers, mini erasers and lap-sized dry erase boards (with lines).  They also had regular sized (black) dry erase markers at two for $1.  The minis I found were in a four-pack, four colors.  They are perfect for little hands.  It is so much more fun for the kiddos to write their answers on a dry erase board than on paper.  I know the markers won't last all year, but I think they'll last quite awhile.   Yea Target!!  My favorite store, hands-down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!