2/22/15

Our Day in Math and Language Arts

I have not posted anything on this poor blog in so long!  I've been so busy with just you know, everything there is.  We actually have a snow day tomorrow.  As you know, in Texas that means 1/8" of snow.  Seriously, we get some pretty bad ice storms, and that is what's happening as I type.  I love knowing the night before that I can sleep in!  I hate it when they "call it" that morning.  You don't know whether you should get up or not.

I have a couple of people who have asked to see how I do my daily stations and plans.  It seemed easiest to show them by asking them to come by my classroom, but that isn't always possible.  I have definitely posted before about the way I run my math and reading stations, but here is a really detailed description for interested parties.

We do morning work daily.  Since I'm self contained, we alternate between math and LA morning work.  Some days we finish up something from the day before.  I'm including a link to a google  form that is a "mock up" of a day in those two subjects. 

Here is our math routine:
Monday- Thursday:
20' whole group lesson (this can be extended if we do something "hands on" included in the lesson.)  During this time, we set our goals for the week and glue that into their math folder.
Four 20' Rotations -
M - "Math Facts" - I have a box of math facts in the form of flash cards, wipe off cards, but usually we are working on a particular multiplication fact.

A - "At Your Seat" = seatwork.  I have a hanging file folder for each student.  In that folder, I put either a page they can all do, or I individualize for a particular student.

T - "Teacher  Time"  I call a group up to me to work in a small needs-based group. It's here I have the opportunity to extend materials for my higher kids and do interventions in the form of reteach/retest/practice with other groups. If I need to work with an individual, I will have the group do iPad apps while I work with someone from that group. I document everything and every bit of time I spend with them!  {Here} is the form for that documentation.

H - "Hands On"  This station is done on the floor and it is usually task cards, a game for two or three or something they can do together.  I teach this game station as part of my whole group time, or on a Friday when we are having a "catch up" day.  Here are a couple of ideas for that station: Part-Part-Whole puzzles and Task Cards with QR codes.
 
During the last 15-20 minutes we discuss our stations, grade something and/or write in journals.  On Fridays, we take an assessment, journal, grade, and have "free choice" stations. They are required to finish anything in their hanging file left over from the week. If they are finished or as they finish, they can choose a station to join.  iPads are usually a top choice, but we have lots of fun games and activities around the room.  One of my favorite Friday activities is to post problems around the room and have the students walk around in pairs to solve the problems together.  I usually have QR codes for grading.  Friday is usually just whatever I need it to be.  We all love a fun Friday, right!?

My favorite Guided Math organizational system comes from The Clutter-Free Classroom.  It is worth the purchase price!!  My kids read it quickly to see where they go.  Here's the link.


Daily 5 goes somewhat the same in that I do a whole group lesson for about twenty minutes (which might be guided practice of some kind,  a foldable, or a reading lesson) and we discuss procedures before I "release them in to the wild." We did lots of practicing at the beginning of the year in each station (for about six weeks) and it was well worth it. We still have to have reminders!

(On the back, I may make a special assignment for the week such as a webquest.)

I run my reading stations in using a "free choice" type of format.  I had to have accountability, however.  I came up with this form for my students to use weekly.  I have blogged about  it before, but this is the updated version I'm sharing.  I like this for reading because I can call a group of four or just one student to work with me since they are all engaged.  My sheet for each week includes "Have to do's" and "Can do's" (for when they complete the "Have to do's.")  I have an outdated SRA kit that I think is fantastic, so we use it! They have to do a Word Work,  Work on Writing, and fiction and nonfiction reading and a response sheet of their choice.  On Friday, they have to turn it all in with the plan sheet on top.  Above are the "choice areas" and the plan sheet image showing "have to do's" and "can do's".  If any of you are interested in a pdf of the plan sheet, email me and I'll send you one!  It's pretty customized, so you might just want it for a guide to make your own.
  

I am sharing the "Snap Centers" link.  {Here} is where you can get those.  There are enough ideas to keep things going for a couple of weeks or more!
I created earlier this year for some friends who were starting stations.

I think about people who haven't ventured into this station thing yet.  There are still some out there who feel it's overwhelming!  I did too.  As soon as I jumped in with both feet, I fell in love and wouldn't do it any other way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!