12/26/14

A Look Back at My Classroom...a Work in Progress

I am rethinking some of the organization in my classroom.  Mainly, my hanging files, which are open in a corner where my teacher desk used to be.  I am feeling "antsy" to get that area more organized.  Not so much what is in the files, but more where I want to put the files.  I chose hanging files over file cabinets because my stuff is very accessible and I use it more if I don't have to open a drawer.

My room hasn't changed that much over the past few years, but I always consider it a work in progress.  I am currently looking for a rug for my read-to-self area/library.  I have carpet in the room, but I want something special to make the kids go there and "hang out" and read, read, read.

Here are just some photos over a few years to show the room basics.  Nothing fancy, love turquoise and lime green!  This year I surprised even  myself and threw some red in there because I fell in love with this red chevron border.  Then it turned out to be toooo bold, so I toned it down a bit by layering border and it was fine.  Just a touch of red to go with my Creative Teaching Press borders I already love.  (red chevron border: Isabella at Mardel.)


I am in the mood to go and clean some stuff out today...It's December 26th...AM I CRAZY?!  I love to go up to school when no one is there and I can just do what I need to do.  I'm not really going up there, but I want to.  Weird, I know. 

This is one of my favorite b-boards.  The fancy framed corkboard is from Hobby Lobby (80% off, of course! ) This year, I added some red chevron border under the brown paisley border.  It is really cute!

I added these graphic polka dot curtains to hide shelving last year.  Even though my lockers are maroon (who picked those?! fire 'em...and the person who chose RED chairs to go with the maroon...AND the person who chose the patchwork carpet, yikes.)  The brown does look fine in person  above the maroon.  I added this pennant thing last year.  Found it in Canton, Texas at the First Monday Trade Days.  If you are ever in Texas at the beginning of ANY month, you gotta go. Fantastic! Plan to spend two days if you want to see most of it. 


You can see my shower curtain wall map just to the right of the border.  It is from Target and you can still get it online.  BEST PURCHASE EVER for my classroom.  You can write on it and the kids look at it every day!
The corners of  my room have A,B,C, D there.  We use them to show our answers by walking to the corner of our choice.  I also have math "clue words" there as well, and when we are problem solving, we may just walk to the corner of the chosen operation to show HOW we plan to solve the math word problem. 
I painted paisleys on this old classroom chair to match the Creative Teaching Press border called "Paisley on Chocolate." It's one of my favorites! 

My own children went to the school where I teach.  When they brought me a great art piece they'd done, I framed it in black and hung it in my room.  I moved this display above my lockers this year to free up wall space.  Love it there!  It makes me happy to remember when my kids were little and came to school with me each day! (And then I remember that I got NOTHING done after school and left as soon as possible each day because they were ready to go home!  It was good, though. No regrets!)

So this is how it starts each year!




Then Daily 5 organization kicks in...



Bookshelves start to take shape.  Classroom library is looking more appealing!







Guided Math wall ready for activities!


Desks in place, (see my framed art above the lockers? Better!) 




Now I need to find that perfect area rug for the D5 area.  Maybe I'll find a great after-Christmas sale!! I think I took this walk down classroom memory lane to help myself to get organized for 2015, so thank you for bearing with me while I get ready for the new year!  

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about wanting to go in! I probably won't, but I can think of lots of things I'd like to do. So far, I've just been doing lots of reading, hanging out with family, and snuggling under the electric blanket my husband bought me for Christmas. Thanks for the fun post.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Jan. I have even taken naps, and I never do that! Thanks for stopping by! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!