10/9/14

We are Batty in Room 409!

I love to squeeze in some art whenever we can - my whole team does the same projects.  We have some fun art activities that we do year after year, and even when we've done them more than once, we love the way they look in our halls plus, they're new for the kids.  We love our bats for October!

They are super easy.  If you can create the BIG pattern by looking at mine, you've got it.  I was going to create a pattern to share with you, but the size wouldn't work out because we make these on the BIG construction paper.




Step 1: Staple two large sheets of black construction paper together at one of the corners about two inches from the edge.  Trace the pattern in white crayon or colored pencil.

Step 2: Cut out two bats at once (front and back), and DON'T separate the two pieces or they'll have a hard time getting them to fit together again.  They can draw a face on the "front" of the bat (we just leave the back blank except for a name.)   I encourage "happy bats" (no blood or scary bats.)

Step 3: take three tissues or about 9 cotton balls and stuff the head and both wings, stapling as you go all the way around the bat.  This process takes awhile, but if you try to glue it, it doesn't dry fast enough. Hot glue would work great, but it's as time consuming as stapling.  It really doesn't take that long.


We hang our bats up and down the hall suspended from the ceiling.  CREEEPY, but happy bats greet our visitors!

We drove each other a little "batty" today, so we took an "art break!"

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I love the picture with the bats over their faces. So cute! I needed to tell my first graders to make "happy bats" the other day... I got a few with blood! :)
    Julie,
    I LOVE this idea! How are they doing with it a couple of weeks later? I think this is such an easy way to foster kindness. Thanks for sharing :)
    Happy Teaching,
    Cassie
    Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
    My TpT Store
    Follow Me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cassie! Yes, definitely had to make those happy bats!! Third graders love blood and scary stuff. I do love the picture of my batty kiddos! I sent that one to the parents. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!