9/17/14

Summary: a Great Strategy

 We always have summary questions for fiction (and nf) on our state test, as I'm sure all of you do. This technique helps our kids have a strategy for writing summaries and eventually choosing the correct answers in a fiction summary multiple choice question. As you probably know, the four answer choices for fiction summary questions are extremely long, a paragraph each usually.  The kids have to have a way to decipher all of those choices and find the best.  We have had great success with this method. 

I'm only showing step 1 of their training in this post: the symbols, three sentences, and illustrated summary.  My next post - coming soon - will include how to find the best summary answer choice after reading a fiction passage.

We start with just a simple summary foldable (steps below.)  We then move from the three "symbols" for summary (character, problem, solution,) to the three sentences, to illustrations, and possibly to a summary paragraph.  
Step 1: Make the flip book.



Step 2:
Step 3:


Step 4:

After reading Dog Breath by Dav Pilkey, we wrote our summaries using the three symbols on the cover of the flipbook, sentences and drawings on the inside.
 Here are some of the finished products:

The students draw the symbols on the front. 
Student write a sentence about who the characters are, a sentence about the problem(conflict), and finally, the solution.

The last step is to draw a picture to go with each step of the summary. 


Credits 






The next post about summary will include how to use this to answer summary questions over a reading passage.  Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! I just found your blog after your purchase from my store. The name of your store is just awesome, and I had to look you up! Thanks for your purchase, and thanks for this great idea!
    Carla @ Comprehension Connection
    BTW...I am teaching 4th and 5th, and I love it when I find a blogger working with that age range. Hope the transition for you has gone well.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!