9/18/14

Pinteresting Math: Comparing Numbers

I found these cute little popsicle stick <, > symbols on Pinterest.  Glued them together, painted them, decorated them, love them.  We used all kinds of numbers to compare, starting with two digit,  then money, then worked our way up to four digit numbers.  The kids loved it.  I had them draw two number cards, decide on which symbol to use, then say the number sentence.  One of the reasons I did this in small group, (besides to protect my little "munchers" from harm!) was to get the kids to talk to me about their thinking. I know that most of them know which symbol goes between the numbers (most times), but to articulate the sentences as:  _____ is less than _____, or vice-versa took some thinking time for some of them.  I need to do more "outloud thinking" with them in small groups! Another thing we are working on is telling which place value helps them decide which number is greater or less than.  I am really working on getting them to verbalize their thinking as well as writing about it.



Givin' credit to One Extra Degree: Confessions of a Teach-a-holic.  I absolutely love this <, > idea AND it's one I've actually tried and use often.  So thanks, Amanda, for a great idea!  I have to try "munchers" using arrays like she suggests on her post! Another great use for my little critters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!