8/30/14

Getting Kids to Respond to Reading

When we read a selection in class we use our strategies, discuss, answer questions, and correct. You know the routine.  Since I'm in school right now, I'm doing similar things, but I noticed that we read and respond, rather than read and answer questions.  We respond to the reading and to each other.  It makes you actually "have a thought" about what you've read rather than just answer someone else's thoughts.  I've become more reflective about things when I read.  I like that! I've decided to try this with my kids this year.  I've created response sheets for non fiction and fiction that I plan to use. After they've responded to the selection,  I want them to respond to each other, so the pages are two-sided.  I was thinking "partner reponses."  First, I'm just going to teach them how to respond to the selection, then we'll work on responding to each other.  You can get them in either of my stores:  TPT or Buy Sell  Teach (my new favorite!)






Since it's just the first week of school, I haven't done this yet.  If you use something like this, please share your ideas and how it goes for you! If not, join me in trying this out this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!