1/3/14

I'm NOT Very Crafty, But I Have My Moments!

My mom has to be my partner in all things crafty because she is the QUEEN of crafty, and I did not inherit the throne.  I DID, however, have the idea of buying some Vera Bradley placemats on clearance from their website and making new things from them! (Translation: I had the idea, she made the bags.)  We bought one of my favorite Vera patterns called Lime's Up in the form of seven placemats for about $7 each along with a couple of matching napkins (also on clearance) to use for pockets on the insides.  We ended up with three fabulous bags for ourselves and my daughter for around $65 (the price of one bag)!  The padded placemats made them look just like the real deal!  Mine is the perfect size for my laptop complete with inside pockets for pens and my easy grader, etc...  I'm in love with it.
www.lovesthirdgrade.blogspot.com


It turned out to be about 14" x 12" and has what I think are called "gussets" around the sides making it about 2" deep.  The trim around the placemat makes it look interesting. The reverse side of the mat looks adorable for the inside of the bag. The corners are mitred giving it a finished look.  I can fit my laptop, papers, planbook, and gradebook very easily!  The handles are just strips of a placemat (one mat made several handles for the bags), hemmed and attached inside.  I plan to make some for gifts next year (didn't have time this year!)  If you can sew straight lines, you can do this - no zipper or buttons, but you could add those.  What do you think?!

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I would've NEVER thought to create something like that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! LOVE and follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!