4/18/22

ICE BREAKERS!

     My students seldom mind doing work.  As GT students, they love to dig in and produce work they are passionate about.  Part of my job as a GT teacher is to instill a love for learning and teach them to work together as a team!  I had the privilege of attending the TAGT (Texas Association of the Gifted and Talented) conference in  December.  It was a fantastic conference!!  There, I encountered a couple of really fun games that require 15 minutes of class time and a million laughs and affirmations!  The first is called "Morphing."  As the class sits in a circle, teacher chooses an simple item such as a stapler.  I start the game with "this used to be a stapler, but now it's a...telegraph sending Morse Code."  I then pass the stapler to the next person who says "This used to be a telegraph machine...but now it's a ______." This goes all the way around the circle.  The kids absolutely love it!  



     The next game I learned is called "Four-Headed Professor."  We get four students to the front of the room and ask them questions like "Oh Wise Four-Headed Professor, can you explain the water cycle?"  The four students then proceed to be allowed to only speak one word at a time going in order and telling how the water cycle works (or whatever they are asked to explain).   They have to rely on the person ahead of them to determine what they say.  It  becomes hilarious and my students can't wait to be chosen.  Surprisingly, even the shy students want to play.  They only have to say one word, so how hard can it be?  It's all fun!  

     Our third, but not least favorite game is called "Drama Circle."  I buy these on TPT from Runde's Room.  She does a great job with these activities.  They are super easy.  Each student gets a card that has one thing for them to say or act out, and each card is dependent on the one before it.  Big laughs and engagement!!  For my older GT students, I have had them create their own drama circles and work together to make the all connect.  It is a great group project that requires collaboration, thinking, and creativity.  I had to tweak a few of them so that they are easy to follow, but kids can do this!  

    Group Juggle is our all-time favorite.  We start the year with this game.  We bring it back when we add new GT students to our classroom.   All of the students think of an alliterative name to go with their first name.  (I'm Laughing Lee, and I've been Loveable Lee!)   The linked website explains it exactly like we do it in my class.  I use small stuffed animals (and we discuss the difference between tossing and throwing the stuffies.)  

     The students in your room need breaks. They need reasons to look forward to your class, and while they most likely love the work you give them, they will also love a brain break and a giggle or two!  Do you ever wonder if school for kids is the same as professional developments can be for us?  EEEEK, I hope not.  Only you can fix that and help them think of your classroom as a place of fun, interesting work, and most importantly, a place where they feel welcome can be themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!