10/20/14

Text Features Lesson

Today, I introduced nonfiction text features.  (BTW, is it non-fiction, nonfiction, or non fiction?  I just make sure I write it all three ways and one of them is probably right!)  After talking with my kids about it, I could tell they knew a few things about nonfiction and even a few of the text features, so that was encouraging.

First, we did a circle map with all the things they could think of that describe nonfiction.  This is not the exact map we did, but close, so you get the idea:
Circle Map
Step 2: Create an anchor chart with all of the features they might find.  I showed them pictures in my TFK book without "giving away" all the ideas!  

Anchor Chart

Step 3: We took a Time for Kids Magazine (we actually have an anthology type of book with many different articles, but any Time for Kids or Scholastic, or newspaper, etc... will do.  I collect samples of TFK or Scholastic I get in my mailbox at school and keep a "stash" of them for things like this.  Even a social studies or science book would probably have lots of text features.)  We did a quick "book walk" through the book to get them initially looking for the text features we just discussed.    

Step 4: Have them get in groups of two or three.  I told them we are going to do a scavenger hunt for text features.  I handed them each a small stack of sticky notes (I cut up a 3 x 3 set of post-its into strips).  They searched and hunted for all the text features on the anchor chart and any they could identify, wrote them on the sticky note and stuck it next to the feature. They had a blast looking for them together.  They were sharing with other groups what they found, "Hey, y'all look on page 43, there is a good one!"  It was really fun.  

Step 5: Let them share out some of what was found and give them time to turn to that page and look and confirm if it was identified correctly.  

Step 6: The next day, pass out the largest sheets of construction paper or 1/2 sheet of tagboard.  Give them magazines, newspapers and anything appropriate for them to dig through and cut out text features (label each one.) You could have them work in pairs or the same groups of three.  They should find at least 7 or 8 before they're done, but challenge them to find more and they could repeat if one of them is different from what they have already.  
Finished Poster

Step 7: Assessment:    This is a matching assessment that you can download for free {here} from my TpT store.  


FREE Assessment
Don't you just love a freebie?!  I'm always on the lookout for a good one.  Good luck on your text features lesson!!! Hope there is something here you can use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about sharing ideas here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please check back because I do reply to comments here!